Islanders Stay Top With Win Over Warriors

Written by Super User on . Posted in News

DALROD Peterborough Islanders – 5

Chelmsford Warriors – 4

The Islanders’ second game of the weekend proved to be the toughest league game of the season so far. The side was bolstered with the addition of Ben Russell, with the Phantoms D Man looking to improve his match fitness. It was end to end action from the outset. The first tipping point came after Garry Brown lost his helmet following an open ice hit, giving the Islanders their first power play. Although the Warriors killed it, it allowed the Islanders to build momentum that was rewarded when Shaun Yardley, Assisted by Cetvertak & Stokes, opened the scoring at 10:22. The Warriors struck back during a Leon Groom penalty for clipping, taking 42 seconds to level the scores, Scored Ross Brears with a brilliant solo effort. With less than 5 minutes left in the 1st, an uncalled crosscheck from behind to Connor Stokes led to the Islanders forward receiving 2+2 for roughing for the retaliation effectively putting the Islanders a man down for the remainder of the period. With some strong defending, the score remained 1-1 after 20 minutes.

The second showed no sign of quieting down, the Warriors took the lead 90 seconds into the period Terry Fillery, finding himself unmarked at the back door for a simple tap in, however, Fillery went from hero to villain, being called 19 seconds later for checking from behind, Stokes, again on the receiving end, picked up 2 for roughing after retaliating. It was during the 4 on 4 following these calls that the Islanders evened the scores with Kenny Bavin getting the tip on a Brammall blue line howitzer at 23:08. 5 minutes later, the Islanders took the lead again from Jack Sansby’s first Islanders goal after a nice pass behind the net from Leon Groom. A tripping penalty against the Warriors at 35:58 gave the Islanders another power play, however NIHL1 Chieftains netminder Sonny Phillips (who faced 52 shots), came up strong time and time again, restricting the Islanders to a 1 goal lead until 38:57 when Tom Wilson levelled the scores after a poor turnover from the Islanders. With no further scores, the sides remained tied at 3-3.

The final period started as the others had ended, the Warriors receiving an early opportunity with Craig Wallis sitting a minor for delay of game at 42:01, with the penalty killed it was back and forth and could have gone either way until Donald Campbell picked up a high sticking minor at 47:55. Just 15 seconds later Conor Pollard broke the deadlock at 48:10 after good passing play from N.pollard and Wallis, 12 seconds later Warriors’ captain Will Polston sat a minor for hooking. Although the penalty was killed, again, momentum had shifted and a few minutes later, Kenny Bavin scored his second to give the Islanders a 2 goal lead. Unfortunately a careless challenge from Leon Groom saw him sitting a tripping minor at 53:44, and it was on this power play that the Islanders lead was again cut to a single goal when Wilson put home the power play goal somehow finding a gap from an awkward angle to set up a nail-biting final 6 minutes. With 35 seconds remaining the Warriors pulled their Man of the Match winning netminder Phillips pushing the 6 on 5 advantage, however the Islanders held strong and walked out 6-5 winners, maintaining their 100% league run against a tough opposition and within reaching distance of the NIHL2S league title.

Shots on goal were 52-19 in the Islanders favour.

Man of the Match: Craig Wallis

The Islanders are at home next on 4th March when they face Lee Valley lions. Face off will be 5pm.


Contact Details


Peterborough Islanders Ice Hockey Club,
Peterborough Arena,
1 Mallard Road, Bretton,

Phone: 01733 260 222

Search Our Site